Translate

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

"Walls" building them or breaking them down?

I see myself using social media and technology for A LOT of my waking hours. So it makes me wonder about its effects on my life. It is making me anti-social? Surely its lets me keep in touch with relatives across the globe on a daily basis but would it take that much more effort to text to call them? Definitely, at least personally I find it being my go to time waster. I'm a sucker for the games and pictures of tattoos. I do find it a great news references on the topics I follow like marijuana legalization and LGTBQ rights here and everywhere. I find myself making Facebook groups instead of meeting with classmates in person. Google docs has made work instant and face to face interaction unnecessary. Being very socially awkward myself, I find this online meeting faster, simpler and less hectic. I find I can voice my opinion without instant backlash. Even if the backlash does come I can deal with it calm on the surface (via text on screen) even if I'm emotional. The downside our lifeline becomes whatever device is in front of us. My phone never leaves my hand unless I'm showering or going through a metal detector if I'm awake. To the point where my soon to be three year old can open my phone play angry birds and or call her grandmother to complain.

What do I think about all of this? I think technology is certainly not going anywhere so this is how we are going to communicate. Instead of having meetings we are going to Skype and IM each other. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing unless on a personal level it becomes obsessive. If you literally can't go five minutes without checking your wall or whisper, you have a problem and need to go outside for awhile. If you take dozens of selfies a day you need to find a new hobby. I'm sure decades ago when tvs first came into living rooms, parents then thought social interaction was going to disappear as well too. I think if everyone uses in moderation, our generation and future ones will survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment