Translate

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Power of words

In the past I've talked about how we separate ourselves through systems of oppression and language is a way we keep them alive. Language, words are the biggest weapon we have as humans. Yes, a bomb was designed to kill millions at a time and that power is undeniable. But! With the power of words one man spread his hatred for everyone unlike him, to hundreds thousands and killed millions. To the point 70 years later we still know his message and the result. Unfortunately, words can be used to inspire with good intentions and not. Humans hear things and spread them like wildfire. Growing up I had a very religious, spiritual step father and a ex catholic mother. both swore when the time was right but one word they couldn't allow was CUNT. It was nails on a chalkboard. So I grew knowing that the word had power that it belittled someone, a woman so much that even grown people were afraid to say it. So, my freshmen year in college when I was in an argument with a ,at the time, friend over a mutual friend that insult got thrown my way. I froze. i wasn't even sure what it meant but I knew she meant to hurt me deeply. I cried, I ran. Looking back I was upset at the broken social contract that I thought was in place not to say that word. The power of words rocked my life. I was scared to speak, I was scared to write.

I vowed to figure out what I was doing. I started looking up words. Fag for instance. One of my best friends is openly out and fabulous. So when he was called this I was appalled but I didn't understand. Fag as everyone should know is a bundle of sticks. What they don't realize is that bundle of sticks was used to light gays, witches, etc on fire alive. So the church would leave sticks on someone's doorstep as a threat to change or be punished. Needless to say I took it out of my vocabulary.
Another word that spoke to me because it is thrown around too easily is Bitch. Yes, everyone knows it refers to a female dog. What they don't realize is that it was used as a word worse than slut or whore. It was shameful and sometimes a life long brand. This generation is trying to take back words. Its a slow process.
I ran across this clip in my women's study's class and fell in love with it. This young girls are amazing. Definitely trying to take back the word. My point here is that we should look at what we are saying. We shouldn't use gay to describe anything but someone's sexual orientation. We shouldn't use words to tear down each other but rather cheer up someone we don't know. We should use our powerful words to unite the people not confine us to boxes.
The fact that in 2007, 32% of students admitted to being bullied is horrible. Bullying, using words to tear each other apart leads to so much more than that student having a bad day. It leads to depression, suicide, killing sprees in the extreme. There is no way a child should not feel safe going to school. As a parent it scares me to no end knowing that my children could be the victims of this. I know I was bullied in high school and it effected me for a long time.
Someone needs to change on how people around the world see their language. They need to know how amazingly hurtful their words can be. Small gestures like a smile at a stranger or holding a door open can make someone's day let alone the spoken words. Kindness is undervalued. If the goal is to be judged by the content of our character we have to live up to it. We have to be nice, patience, loving, to complete strangers and helpful, true, kind to the ones we don't agree with and loyal, caring, true to the ones we love. We have to use our words to change the world. They have power if you are brave enough to use them right.

No comments:

Post a Comment