Translate

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Too much or too little

American Education System
In this country we probably have the most access to education out there. But is access enough? After 12 years of instruction, hopefully, you are handed a piece of paper. This paper is supposed to be the key to your future professionally. Does it prepare you? I think not.
The high school I graduated from, in rural Nebraska, didn't have tracking, blocking scheduling, and hardly any vocation classes, and maybe two dual credit classes you could take. That being said it was a small school and in my senior English class, because of low scores on the 11th grade standard tests, the class I had to take to graduate, had to (re)learn parts of speech. Luckily I graduated early. So I have taken my education very seriously since. Speaking of tests, I don't think that's what should measure a student's success. According to a tests I took my freshmen year, PSAT pre-act, I could have graduated with presidential honors. If a freshmen can beat a national test and a senior can't form a complete sentence how does our education system work? And how do we fix it?
According to Forbes:
In 2011-2012, 48 percent of U.S. schools were not making AYP (Adequate Yearly Progress) on No Child Left Behind (NCLB) mandates. As reported previously on Crotty on Education, under the Obama administration waiver policy, many states have been exempted from NCLB mandates. Beneficiaries? Unions and politicians. Losers? Students saddled with teachers, principals and school districts that are not meeting even minimal standards of educationexcellence.
Yes, to a point teachers, principals etc should be held accountable but schools shouldn't loss funding if it's failing. That only make teachers work for less and students go without free and reduced lunch among losing fine arts. Not saying succeeding schools shouldn't be rewarded but if a school is failing it needs help not to be broken apart and the students shipped somewhere else. 
This article by Gordon Cawelti points out the many side effects of NCLB that people don't think about.  The worse thing that can happen is have discouraged teachers leading to bored students who don't want to learn. Teachers teaching to the test in core subjects is going to kill any passion they or the students have. Teaching teaching the 'other' subjects art, foreign language etc will feel unimportant and expendable. 
In high school, we start to explore who we are and what we want to do with our lives, how can we put that into boxes and fill in the bubble tests? In school I might have been book smart, but I was in an abusive relationship that led to a teen pregnancy. Who knew? My favorite teacher: a foreign language teacher who took the time to teach us about systems of oppression and how to find our voice. I can honestly say that thanks to her voice in my head, I left the father of my daughter and have been striving to make an impact on society ever since. Will that reflect on a report sent to someone in a cubicle in DC or our ESU? No. Will she get recognized for being an amazing teacher, friend and co-worker? No. All that will be reported is that I graduated early and soared at my standardized tests and college entry exams. 
There's something broken about our education system. If we spend less time, money and effort on testing and get to know our students and teach them about the society around them we can change the world. We can stop domestic violence and give pride back to minorities. If we empower our students instead of making them some statistic, we will have a generation of leaders and activists not illiterate reality show personas. 
Here's my ideas.
1. Tell NCLB to shove it. Each state, district needs to set standards of achievement. I do think federal should set the graduation standard but I think locally should set what classes and how funds to be set. Especially, for elementary and middle schools I think there should be more book fairs, Accelerated Reading programs that reward reading and comprehension, and programs that give books to free and reduced lunch students. I think there should be more classes for minorities like Raza Studies schools in Arizona tried to do. I think gender studies should be a part of the curriculum ideally as well as sexual education. Along with classes like life studies (balancing a check book, resume preparing etc).   
2. Appreciate teachers. First, give them a big fat raise they deserve it. Second, give them free reign over their classes, let them fail the students who deserve it and teach to the majority of class not the students who are slacking. Third, tell them they are doing a great job, most of them are. Could you put up with hundreds of hormonal teenagers a day with a smile on your face? Would you spent dozens of extra hours grading and doing lesson plans  instead of spending time with your family or friends? No? Didn't think so. Teachers are amazing the end. They need support in college and the years of teaching that follow. Students in college should spend more time in the classroom and less time reading some text book. Then they should be paired with a veteran teacher as a mentor in their given field. The first few years of teaching the pair should meet regularly and discuss pros and cons of different teaching styles etc. Schools should provide opportunities for all teachers to go to conferences, training and or continue their education. If we are going to trust them to instruct the next generation they should be held to standards. I just believe those standards shouldn't be whether their students care enough to not blow off a test. 
3. School year. No, here isnt where I suggest year around school but that surely shows to have its advantages in other countries. I do also think school uniforms have merit. Those are things I won't breach right now. I do think though that all schools should offer after school programs until at least 530, so children have a safe place to stay until parents get off of work.  I think students at least in high school should be put on block scheduling to prepare for college settings. I also think that community service should be a requirement to graduate. 

I have tons of ideas and opinions but as a future teacher I know something has to be done or the future generation won't have the passion for reading and learning I have.         

No comments:

Post a Comment