Translate

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

"Official" language

This topic was brought to my attention in my multicultural class. it struck a chord with me because I watch people from across the world struggle to learn English.

Of course, there's a different levels of enforcing this law. It could be a federal bill, which means all laws/bills have to be in English, or on the state and local level meaning on signs, information etc would be in english. I think the ladder would have huge crowds on both sides. Proving this, almost every year a bill is put forth at Congress and kicked right back. No one wants to touch this topic. Whether because they have bigger more important tasks (ie minimum wage or population restrictions) or no one is interested in fielding this particular mine field, me might never know.
What I do know is that it would enforce immigrants to learn English faster. Working with them every day I know many work very hard to learn with varying results. Sometimes to the point where their children learn to read and write in English and not in their native language at all. Losing that connection with their families and heritage. Losing the pride they should feel, damaging their self image and outlook on how they should assimilate, look, act, etc.
English being the only written language would maybe being the country together later than sooner. English being the only spoken language I believe would be illegal and evil. I can't see this bill ever going anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment